Friday, December 30, 2011

Things I didn’t realize about 2 year olds


Things I didn’t realize about 2 year olds:

  • They talk a lot about everything and non stop. My two year old talks so much that some nights I have a headache. My husband was home for an hour last night, turned to me and said, “He has talked more in that hour than I have talked all day.” Now, in all fairness, my husband is a financial analyst and they are not known to be a chatty bunch but still EJ talks about everything. Thomas, Bob the Builder, his oatmeal, an ant, his friends at school and there are long narratives about basic things. Walking down stairs, eating a cheese stick, putting on socks and similar activities involve a hundred questions and long descriptions. I didn’t think I would ever live with someone who talked more than I do. Honestly, it is a bit unnerving.
  • They move at lightening speed…until you need them to move quickly and then they move like snails. Putting on shoes can take twenty minutes. The sweatshirt they wear everyday is suddenly unacceptable. Or worse, they poop. To get out of the house on a work morning involves a lot of chasing around, carrying against his will and threatening…and we are still late. Every single time…
  • They don’t stop eating until you ask them to eat something healthy. EJ will eat all day. He is hungry in the car, at Target, on the toilet, in the bath, when he wakes up…all the time. But he refuses to eat anything suggested by me that may be healthy. No chicken, no veggies, “No dinner Mommy!” just snacks. He will eat almost anything if it fits in a snack cup.
  • They are human sponges. I will say something once and EJ will repeat it a hundred times. One of his first words was “crap”. He would drop his sippy cup from a carriage at a store and mutter “crap”…it was charming. He also now uses the phrases “Holy mother!” and “Oh my god, are you serious?” I am working on editing myself...
  • They are unbelievably stubborn. He has actually held poop for days to prevent “caving” and going on the potty like suggested. One morning I asked him to pick up cards that he flung all over the living room and he refused. I took almost everything away; TV, playing downstairs in the playroom, and even good snacks but he didn’t budge. He walked over the cards, around the cards, would pick one up to look at occasionally but would not clean them up. The standoff lasted until the next day. It was amazing and frightening. He would hold up well if ever captured as a prisoner of war…
  • They begin to break away from you! I love that EJ still wants to cuddle with me, still calls for me, and still asks if he can stay home with me on school days but lately he has been asserting his independence. Last week, I received my first “Go away Mommy!” complete with a plastic hammer waving to shoo me off. I have also heard, “There will be no kisses or hugs today, Mom!” and “Please go inside. I can play by myself!” I did not expect it this early and it makes me a little sad. It is also makes him sound a bit like a disgruntled teenager…

    -Lauren
    Lauren Jordan is a part-time stay at home mom.  She has been married for 7
    years and is the mom of a very energetic, hilarious 2 year boy!  She hopes
    to some day get a full night of sleep.…

1 comment:

  1. Love this! SO true :) The"snack" thing had me cracking up. My girls could eat 24hrs a day if I let them but if I mention" dinner" or "lunch" they are screaming at me, no mommy, don't make dinner, I want a snack! I just love kids and all their little quirks :) Oh, and today my son said" shoo, shoo, shoo, mama" .....so now Im a fly? Lovely :)

    ReplyDelete