Monday, February 6, 2012

Good Enough!


When Mike and I first moved in together, I quickly realized that handy was not one of his many attributes. Pictures are always hung crooked, painting is done by me, and when we went house hunting Mike wanted to buy a house that "we need to do nothing to." I want to rip up the ugly 1980s blue carpet and put down floors and he looks at me like I am crazy. Sink drains stay clogged for weeks and our fire alarm still randomly goes off because of some faulty wire issue (It yells “Fire! Fire!” such a great thing for a 2 year old to repeat while out in public). Putting together furniture or toys requires taking days off and many instructions (and a lot of begging) and even then pieces are often backwards or parts leftover.  EJ got a train table for Christmas and Mike actually took a vacation day from work to put it together in anticipation that all would not go smoothly.

This has always been slightly amusing to me. Being handy is not something Mike has time for or even enjoys. So it is even more amusing now that our 2.5 year olds most prized possession is his toy hammer and his two most favorite people are Bob the Builder and Handy Manny. I have written about his hammer, “Pat”, before but it is truly his most favorite item.  He sleeps, eats, drives in the car, goes potty and plays with Pat.  If Pat is missing it is like crisis mode in our house and everything stops until Pat is located.

EJ asks Mike all the time to show him his real hammer and tool box.  His favorite thing to do with Mike is hammer a nail in the wall. EJ loves tools, tool boxes, tool belts and "fixing things". He always wants Mike to show him how or "fix things” with him. If Mike hangs a picture he stands right under him, captivated.  If Mike changes a light bulb or checks the smoke detector for the fiftieth time, EJ is right there asking to help.

It is only a matter of time before our toddler will become handier. I will have to start asking EJ to hang pictures, screw in nails and assemble things for me. He will surpass his teacher very shortly. And honestly, I don’t think Mike cares.  I think it will be a great relief for him to have someone in the house that actually enjoys doing these things and does them correctly. Couple more years and maybe I will actually get my hard wood floors.

This week, Mike told me his new slogan for his work around the house is “Good enough!” He hung our flat screen to the wall and both the TV and the cord covers are slightly crooked but he said we should just be grateful he even figured it out.  EJ’s two heroes have mottos like, “Can we fix it? Yes we can!” and “You break it we fix it!”  Unfortunately, his dad’s motto is slightly less convincing.  

-Lauren

Lauren Jordan is a part-time stay at home mom.  She has been married for 7 years and is the mom of a very energetic, hilarious 2 year boy!  She hopes to some day get a full night of sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment