Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Adding to our 'Toolbox' - by Aimee

Like many of us grown-ups, my 7 year old son is often filled with disappointment when Sunday night rolls around.  After a fun weekend with the family and lots of play-time, Monday morning is right around the corner and it's a whole 5 days of school before 'home-time' starts again.  We've realized that part of this frustration comes from him not getting done everything that was on his 'to-do' list.  I never really gave that much thought - he's only 7, what could he possibly need to get done??!!  But apparently even little ones have 'to-do' lists that must be addressed for them to feel settled and accomplished.

When April vacation was starting, I began getting nervous that his return the following Monday would be miserable.  If he has a hard time after just 2 days off, what would it be like after 9!  So I tried out a new tool.  We decided to map out the week with the things that were already scheduled, the name of the person who would be caring for he and his brother each day, and a list of things we would like to accomplish.  As the week went on, we filled in more items, crossed some out, and moved things around.  I showed it to him each day and reminded him of our plan and asked if there was anything he wanted to add.  (Do you notice the one thing he wrote in??!!)


I'm happy to say that we had a wonderful Sunday night and Monday morning.  I'm not sure if it was because of this tool or the stars just aligned but the night and morning were flawless!  As my kids get older I'm realizing that just little tools like this can help them be more at peace and comfortable with our crazy life and if they're happier, I'm happier!

-Aimee

No comments:

Post a Comment